What do we make of adversities? When you face these things what do you do? It’s never easy and comfortable whenever failings come or untoward activities happen. But do you sulk in grief and think that the world is out to get you? Do you give up easily? How then can you achieve success?
One of the main elements of a successful life is our attitude towards adversity. From time to time we all face problems, accidents, and difficulties. Some are due to our own faults, while many confront us through no fault of ours. These things just come as a part of life. While we can’t choose the type and degree of adversity that we face, we can always choose our attitude towards it.
Problems are there to be faced and overcome. They’re not to be feared or ignored. We cannot achieve anything with an easy life. An easily life is possible, you may be living it right now. But almost all the time, an easily life is a mediocre life. I’m not even talking about wealth here. Wealth is not an important factor to a successful life. It’s all about our perspective and how you bounce back after every fall.
Helen Keller wrote, “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experiences of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired and success achieved.” I couldn’t have said it any better.
What are the ways to change your attitude towards the adversity that you face:
1. Face the problem. Do not avoid it. The more you try to run away from it, the more it will haunt and hunt you down. Think about this, if you’re really meant to face it, why not face it now? Why run away? Anyway, you’ll still be facing it later in life if you don’t face it now.
2. Take on a positive attitude and look at the pros and cons of the situation. Surely you can learn or gain something from this adversity. Sometimes, the signs are obvious, sometimes you don’t see it coming. Just realize that there’s always something good in any situation, no matter how bad it may look.
3. Use your five senses to feel the benefit when you’ll be overcoming this feat. Use your imagination. Especially if the thing that’s happening has already happened many times, you’ll know the outcome already. But if it’s your first time to encounter such problems, ask people who already encountered what you’re facing now. They’ll tell you what will happen and even give you advice on the best move to make.
4. Develop an action plan so that you don’t go groping in the dark. Plan everything. Meet with your mentors and ask for some necessary advice. Don’t do it on your own. Seek help and stick to your plans. Don’t abandon an action plan easily unless of course you really think it’s not working. Then you can always change strategies.
5. Be cheerful always. This is easy to do when you attack a problem or a challenge with all the positivity that you can have. Be excited even that you’ll be learning a lot of things. Of course, I’m not saying that you can’t feel awkward or sad or even afraid. By all means feel those things, but after that decide to be positive.
What about you? What are your ways to bounce back after each fall or when facing a problem? Are you resilient in the face of adversity? What do you like to add?
Let us all know in the comments!